North Chadderton School is the lead school in the Oak multi academy trust with a clear simple vision to ensure all our students are:
School ready, Work ready and Life ready
North Chadderton School is fully committed to ensuring that all of our students acquire the skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their learning and career progression.
North Chadderton School has achieved the national Quality in Careers Standard for its careers education, information, advice and guidance provision. The gold award was awarded by Inspiring IAG which is a Licensed Awarding Body for the national standard. It is a well-deserved achievement that recognises the schools hard work in providing high quality Careers, Information Advice and Guidance.
The School has established a range of effective careers guidance activities which we hope will guide support our students to achieve positive destinations such as A 'levels, Higher Education, Apprenticeships, Technical routes and Employment.
The school has been nationally recognised for its approach to developing entrepreneurial skills and is involved in a range of national and international activities that develop employability skills.
The school was honoured at a ceremony in Tallinn on 16 November 2017 for its track record of success in teaching entrepreneurship. The event was the high point of a conference organised by the Innovation Cluster for Entrepreneurship Education (ICEE) under the sponsorship of the Ministry of Education in Estonia, the EU’s presidency-in-office.
The award is led by JA Europe as a part of the Entrepreneurial School Initiative supported by Siemens.
The schools scored the highest against the key indicators promoting the sustainability of entrepreneurship education: the quality of the school’s strategy, the allocation of appropriate resource, the existence of relevant teacher training, the engagement of local and business communities, and the extent of the school’s best practice network.
The Tallinn event, which attracted representatives of the EU presidency-in-office, member state ministries, and leading educationists, was part of a programme of initiatives undertaken by ‘Switch on Europe!’ This campaign is raising awareness of the European goal, set in 2010, that every young person should have a practical entrepreneurial experience before leaving compulsory education.
The award recognised that enterprise education lies at the heart of our inclusive curriculum and every student is encouraged to realise their potential and turn ideas into opportunities, which will achieve both commercial and social outcomes. The school’s culture and ethos underpin the relentless focus on building personal attributes that allow young people to make a positive contribution to the global society.
At North Chadderton we aim to guide and inspire students as they plan for the next stage in their lives by:
- Providing opportunities for students to develop career management and employability skills
- Working with Parents/Carers to ensure they are informed of the opportunities and options available to their children
- Equipping students with knowledge, skills and attributes to make informed decisions through a relevant and up to date Careers Programme
- Supporting students with personalised information, advice and guidance about Careers and the world of work
- Inspiring students to consider ambitious options to achieve their full potential
- Building strong links with Employers and other training providers
- Facilitating opportunities to experience the world of work
- A personalised programme in the Sixth Form, which includes work experience
Personalised Information Advice and Guidance
Ms. Rahela Begum is our independent Careers Adviser and is employed by Positive Steps, Oldham.
Rahela provides impartial careers advice focussed upon each individual students needs by offering every Year 9 -13 student a one to one personalised interview. We encourage parents / carers to be part of their child’s choices and parents / carers are welcome to attend the one to one interview or to contact Rahela through the school. Rahela is available in school Monday - Thursday. Rahela is also available for support and advice at year 7 - 13 Parents Evenings. During school holidays Rahela is available at Positive Steps Oldham, Union Street Oldham.
Tel: 0774 1952 618
Careers within the Curriculum
We embed careers through our curriculum delivery of PDP (Personal Development Programme) and a half term module of Careers based lessons is taught in Years 7 to 13.
The module ensures students are equipped and confident to make the choices that become available to them during the different stages of their secondary education.
We have a well-resourced careers library situated in the Careers Office and Sixth Form College with supplementary information available in the School Library.
Students are encouraged to access an extensive range of careers related information and helpful websites on the school's SharePoint site. All students have access to the careers digital information screen on the first floor and the information board outside the Careers Office, these are regularly updated with a wide range of information and exciting opportunities
The school organises a wide range of events and activities to provide information, inspire students and enhance employer engagement:
- Opportunities to listen and interact with external speakers from a range of occupations and professions through assemblies, subject and PDP lessons.
- “Take your sons and daughters to work day “an opportunity for Year 10 to experience the “world of work”
- Annual Vocational Career, Training provider and Apprenticeship Fair.
- Apprenticeships event for Parents – Yr10 and Yr11. An opportunity to learn about apprenticeships and meet representatives from local apprenticeship providers.
- Futures Week for the Sixth Form
- Career focused visits to a range of Business and Professional Companies
- An interactive, activity filled Careers month during March
- Mock interviews and support for CV and application form writing from our Business Partners for Year 11 and 13
- Taster days at Local Colleges
- Opportunities for students to explore alternative 14-19 pathways through visits, speakers, taster days and personalised programmes
- Work experience (Sixth Form)
- Wide range of opportunities for Sixth Form students to attend University and Higher Level Apprenticeship taster days.
- Students to link with redbrick universities, taster day presentations
- Young Enterprise / Enterprise Academy
- A variety of local and national competitions to develop employability skills
- STEM events.
The Careers Team
The Careers Team members are part of national and local networks which provide strong business links and access to wide range of expertise and opportunities.
Mrs Gillian Hindle, Executive Director of Business and HR and SLB link for Careers: Ghindle@northchadderton.oldham.sch.uk (0161 624 9939)
Mrs Julie Sutcliffe, Subject Leader of Careers (CEIAG):
Jsutcliffe@northchadderton.oldham.sch.uk (0161 624 9939)
Ms Rahela Begum, Careers Adviser, Positive Step (providing independent and impartial advice and guidance).
Mrs Adelle Greenwood, Senior director KS5 Standards and Effectiveness.
Mrs Sarah Guy, Assistant Director KS5
Miss Nik Westhead, Senior director KS4 Standards and Effectiveness
Mrs Tracey Walker, Senior director KS3 Standards and Effectiveness
Mrs Suzanne Robinson, KS4 Achievement Co-Ordinator
Miss Natalie Thompson, Curriculum Leader for Personal Development (PDP)
Ms Rachel Howse, Careers Enterprise Adviser
The school identified Careers Leader is Mrs Gillian Hindle, Executive Director of Business and HR.
For more careers information
All students have access to the school's SharePoint site which contains some very useful information on:
- How to write a cv
- Top jobs and emerging careers
- A-Z index of job profiles
- Job descriptions
- Useful inks and websites
STUDENTS - LOG INTO SHAREPOINT FOR MORE CAREER INFORMATION - CLICK HERE
Some websites providing Careers Advice
- Positive Steps Oldham HERE
- iCould Career Inspiration HERE
- National Careers Service - HERE
- Greater Manchester Higher Website - HERE
- PLOTR - HERE
- Apprenticeships - HERE
- Prospects - HERE
- ISeeTheDifference - HERE
There are no documents to display at present.