North Chadderton School is the lead school in the Oak Multi Academy Trust with a clear simple vision to ensure all our students are:
School ready, Work ready and Life ready
North Chadderton School is fully committed to ensuring that all of our students acquire the skills, knowledge and attitudes to manage their learning and career progression.
North Chadderton School has achieved the national Quality in Careers Standard for its careers education, information, advice and guidance provision in 2017. The gold award was awarded by Inspiring IAG which is a Licensed Awarding Body for the national standard. It is a well-deserved achievement that recognises the schools hard work in providing high quality Careers, Information Advice and Guidance.
The School has established a range of effective careers guidance activities which we hope will guide support our students to achieve positive destinations such as A 'levels, Higher Education, Apprenticeships, Technical routes and Employment.
The school has been nationally recognised for its approach to developing entrepreneurial skills and is involved in a range of national and international activities that develop employability skills.
At North Chadderton we aim to guide and inspire students as they plan for the next stage in their lives by:
- Providing opportunities for students to develop career management and employability skills
- Working with Parents/Carers to ensure they are informed of the opportunities and options available to their children
- Equipping students with knowledge, skills and attributes to make informed decisions through a relevant and up to date Careers Programme
- Supporting students with personalised information, advice and guidance about Careers and the world of work
- Inspiring students to consider ambitious options to achieve their full potential
- Building strong links with Employers and other training providers
- Facilitating opportunities to experience the world of work
- A personalised programme in the Sixth Form, which includes work experience
Personalised Information Advice and Guidance
Ms. Rahela Begum is our independent Careers Adviser and is employed by Positive Steps, Oldham.
Rahela provides impartial careers advice focussed upon each individual students needs by offering every Year 9 -13 student a one to one personalised interview. We encourage parents / carers to be part of their child’s choices and parents / carers are welcome to attend the one to one interview or to contact Rahela through the school. Rahela is available in school every day except Wednesdays. Rahela is also available for support and advice at year 9 - 13 Parents Evenings. During school holidays Rahela is available at Positive Steps Oldham, Union Street Oldham.
Tel: 0774 1952 618
Careers within the Curriculum
We embed careers through our curriculum delivery of PDP (Personal Development Programme) and a half term module of Careers based lessons is taught in Years 7 to 13.
The module ensures students are equipped and confident to make the choices that become available to them during the different stages of their secondary education.
We have a well-resourced careers library situated in the Careers Office and Sixth Form College with supplementary information available in the School Library.
Students are encouraged to access an extensive range of careers related information and helpful websites on the school's SharePoint site. All students have access to the careers digital information screen on the first floor and the information board outside the Careers Office, these are regularly updated with a wide range of information and exciting opportunities
The school organises a wide range of events and activities to provide information, inspire students and enhance employer engagement:
- Opportunities to listen and interact with external speakers from a range of occupations and professions through assemblies, subject and PDP lessons.
- Work experience for Year 10 and 12
- Annual Vocational Career, Training provider and Apprenticeship Fair.
- Apprenticeships event for Parents – Yr10 and Yr11. An opportunity to learn about apprenticeships and meet representatives from local apprenticeship providers.
- Futures Weeks
- Career focused visits to a range of Business and Professional Companies
- An interactive, activity filled Careers month during March
- Mock interviews and support for CV and application form writing from our Business Partners for Year 11 and 13
- Taster days at Local Colleges
- Opportunities for students to explore alternative 14-19 pathways through visits, speakers, taster days and personalised programmes
- Wide range of opportunities for Sixth Form students to attend University and Higher Level Apprenticeship taster days.
- Students to link with redbrick universities, taster day presentations
- Young Enterprise / Enterprise Academy
- A variety of local and national competitions to develop employability skills
- STEM events.
The Careers Team
The Careers Team members are part of national and local networks which provide strong business links and access to wide range of expertise and opportunities.
Mrs Amanda Marsh, Associate Director of Careers link for Careers: AMarsh@northchadderton.oldham.sch.uk (0161 624 9939)
Mrs Julie Sutcliffe, Subject Leader of Careers (CEIAG):
Jsutcliffe@northchadderton.oldham.sch.uk (0161 624 9939)
Ms Rahela Begum, Careers Adviser, Positive Step (providing independent and impartial advice and guidance).
Mrs Adelle Greenwood, Head of School
Mrs Sarah Guy, Assistant Director KS5
Miss Nik Westhead, Senior director KS4 Standards and Effectiveness
Mrs Tracey Walker, Senior director KS3 Standards and Effectiveness
Mrs Suzanne Robinson, KS4 Achievement Co-Ordinator
Miss Natalie Thompson, Curriculum Leader for Personal Development (PDP)
Ms Rachel Howse, Careers Enterprise Adviser
The school identified Careers Leader is Mrs Amanda Marsh, Associate Director of Careers.
For More Careers Information
All students have access to the school's SharePoint site which contains a variety of information inclusing:
- How to write a cv
- Top jobs and emerging careers
- A-Z index of job profiles
- Job descriptions
- Useful inks and websites
STUDENTS - LOG INTO SHAREPOINT FOR MORE CAREER INFORMATION - CLICK HERE