Keeping Safe Out and About
Remember these tips:
- Walk with a friend/adult when possible.
- If you are riding a bike to school please ensure that a helmet is worn. Please take care when riding on the roads.
- Ask your parents/other adults to help you pick a safe route; one that avoids dangers and is well lit.
- Stick to the route you picked with your parents/adults. Don’t let friends talk you into shortcuts that are more dangerous, such as dark alleyways or paths.
- Behave sensibly around traffic and other pedestrians.
- Never get into a car or wehicle with someone you do not know.
- Talk to the adult you live with, or a trusted adult, about any incidents that may happen during your walk that have caused you to worry to be upset.
- Don’t walk with your headphones in/on and keep your phone out of sight.
Drivers may not always be able to see you well, especially if it is dark. Wearing bright coloured clothes or reflective clothing will help drivers to see you more easily.
Look for traffic
Watch out for Wehicles whilst you are walking and out on your bike, particulary near driveways and road junctions. Be cautious near parked cars as they may be ready to move.
- Cross the street safely
- Stop at the kerb or edge of the street.
- Check all around you for traffic.
- Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
- Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing.
- Walk, don’t run across the street.
- Obey traffic signs and use crossings where available.