Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy can be found on our Policies page.
School Site Security
We keep the school safe and secure by:
- Site access – the school has one main entrance. We have signs to inform visitors that they are not allowed on site unless they have a specific and legitimate reason, and they must sign into the main school reception. All entrances at the front of the school have locks on doors or staff members to supervise them. We ask that ALL visitors report to the main school reception. At this stage, they will be issued with a lanyard. If a visitor has provided a valid DBS and is suitable, they will be allowed to move around the school unsupervised. Otherwise, they will be escorted everywhere.
- We regularly remind all staff and students that they have a responsibility to either challenge or inform the nearest member of the team of anyone in the school without a lanyard or following our rules regarding lanyards.
- CCTV – We have CCTV in school, and all parents and students have been informed.
- Site Safety -The school completes Health and Safety Audits and follows the school policy in this area. The OAK trust business team supports this work.
Like all schools, we hire our facilities and will have contractual staff on-site at various times. Therefore, we have suitable policies and procedures that follow guidance from Keeping Children Safe Page 37, point 134.
Further safeguarding of visitors and volunteers
All our visitors and volunteers must follow our procedures to help safeguard our students. Our policy explains these, and our staff and students are fully trained. The key elements are:
- No visitor in the school who has not got an updated DBS is left alone at any point.
- All content delivered by external speakers is checked before delivery.
- Contractors follow our DBS checks to ensure they work safely in a school.
- All Providers must follow North Chadderton School Safeguarding Policy.
Staff Safeguarding Training
This includes training for:
- All staff, including induction, ongoing and annual training.
- Designated Safeguarding Lead.
- Agency staff and volunteers.
Every member of staff completes the following training:
- L2 Safeguarding training
Specialist Safeguarding staff, including the DSL:
- Advanced Safeguarding training for DSL.
- WRAP training.
- Safer Recruitment training.
- Critical incident training.
- Training in a wide range of safeguarding practices, e.g. domestic violence, CCE/CCE and complex safeguarding
Attendance is an essential part of safeguarding our students. The links below will help you to understand how we support good attendance and its role in safeguarding young people.
Further Attendance Information: https://www.northchaddertonschool.co.uk/Parents/Attendance
Protecting Vulnerable Children
Oldham's Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH). This will be done by discussing concerns with the duty and Advice Team for all cases where we believe a student is at risk. This is based on
- If we know of a child who may become vulnerable without additional help and support.
- If we are worried a child or young person is at risk of being hurt or abused.
- If we want to know about services available to support children and families.
MASH/Duty and ADVICE Team:
We work with social services to ensure that:
- Where a child has been identified as at risk, there is a written plan with clear and agreed-to procedures to protect them.
- A suitable plan is effectively established and implemented when a child is the subject of a child in need plan or child protection plan or is looked after.
WWe work with the relevent agencies where there are concern for children around:
- Physical Harm.
- Sexual Harm.
- Phychological or Emotional Harm.
- Children who are deemed a risk to themselves or others.
Our Children Looked After and/ or SEND students are kept safe by:
- Working with all relevant agencies
- Following agreed plans for their induvial needs and requirements
- Education, Care and Support
Our SEND students are kept safe by:
- Education, Care and support
We share information on a need-to-know basis and constantly review our procedures.